Friday, March 9, 2012

Where I am from is a mystery

Where are you from? This question leaves me confused. I've been a gypsy most of my life and have absolutely no "roots" or "ties" or whatever it is people who have lived in one place their whole life, or perhaps two, talk about. I don't have a connection to any one place like someone who says "I was born and raised in one place", or, "my parents still live in the house I was born in."
I was born in Boston, lived there for one whole month, then my parents moved to British Columbia, Canada, where I lived in McBridge, Sydney, and Abbotsford before I was 8. At 9 we moved to Moncton, NB. At 10 we moved to Hong Kong. At 14 to Singapore. At 17 to Edmonton, Alberta. At 20 I moved to San Francisco. At 22 I was in Red Deer, Alberta and met my wife Jo (from Kelowna B.C. via Vancouver, San Diego, and London England). After we were married we moved to Toronto, then Michigan, than Las Vegas (where I spent almost 9 years - the longest I've ever lived in any one place). When I was 37 I moved my family back to Edmonton so that I could complete my MA and begin work on my PhD at the U of A. Now, I am a worship and arts pastor in Kamloops B.C.
Where I am from is a mystery. Where I am going is not. I have my eye on the prize. I am in constant pursuit of the goal. I am on a life-long journey to heaven. Some day I will be "home". In the mean time, I will continue to enjoy the journey.