Saturday, October 27, 2012

Life is a journey And a destination

What a journey I am on. This journey began in Boston in 1969 and has taken me through Asia, Europe, The U.S. and Canada. I love the journey even though at times it has been painful and there are parts of it that I wish I could undo or do over. Life is a journey. Just when you think you are settled in somewhere, if you are like me, you feel the need to move again. Maybe I'm the human version of a shark, always needing to be moving in the journey or else I'll die. I don't ever feel like I've arrived, or like I have it all together, or that I can sit down and say to myself "O.K. I figured it all out, I am where I am going to be until I die, I don't need to learn any more or grow anymore." So, life for me is a continual process of growth...a continual journey. This relates to my physical world and my spiritual world. I am continually reminded in this journey that God has more to teach me. Just when I think I have a pretty good grasp on something, God opens my eyes to the next level, the next phase, the next understanding, the next mission, the next journey. So, I have come to a place where I am peace with being on a journey that will last until I die. Then, and only then, will I reach the destination. And then the real journey will begin. So I keep asking myself these questions. Is my life making a difference? Am I part of the problem or part of the solution? Am I where God can best use me? Have I stopped journeying? Am I more kind, compassionate, and caring than I was yesterday? Do I appreciate those around me more today than I did yesterday? Is what I am doing today better than what I was doing yesterday? Is what I am doing today setting me up to make tomorrow better? Am I closer to the destination today or farther away? I want to be part of a community that continually asks those questions. I want to be part of a community that is also on a journey. I hope you will be part of that community with me.