Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Rob Bell "Love Wins" Chapter 1

Thanks Rob, for asking questions that make me think. The questions he asks in the first chapter, although they revolve around the idea of who goes to heaven and who goes to hell, go deeper, into the nature of God, the idea of predestination, and the fundamentals of salvation. Ultimately, although Rob never asks this question, I think Rob is questioning the need for traditional concepts of missions and ultimately, the need for the church at all, at least in terms of the church's role in salvation.
Is there any "hope" for those who die without a personal relationship with Jesus? Rob suggests that the idea of a "personal relationship with Jesus" isn't Biblical, that this idea is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible (10). My question to Rob is this: maybe the actual terminology isn't in the Bible, but what about "come unto me all you who labour and I'll give you rest," isn't that a personal relationship? What about "deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow me," isn't that a personal relationship? Throughout the New Testament, Jesus (and the other authors) talk about people being in some sort of intimate relationship with Jesus. Apparently some sort of intimate (personal) relationship with Jesus figures into a person's spiritual journey. But Rob is right, the Bible doesn't actually say that salvation is based on a personal relationship with Jesus. So what is salvation based upon? How does a person "get out of hell" and "get into heaven?"
Rob asks "what if the missionary has a flat tire" (9)? If I don't get the chance to tell someone about Jesus because of a flat tire, and they die, do they go to hell? Am I responsible for someone elses salvation? If so, where does God/Jesus fit into this equation? Would God send someone to hell just because I got a flat tire? Great question. Disturbing question.
Is salvation based on saying the sinner's prayer? What about the guy who said it once but no longer believe it or certainly doesn't live a life in accordance with Jesus' ideals? What about a guy like Ghandi who lived his whole life to bring about peace and reconcilliation but never said the sinner's prayer? Is Ghandi in hell and the other guy, who no longer believes,in heaven (6)? I'd like to believe that I'll see Ghandi in heaven. But if I am going to see Ghandi in heaven then something in my evangelical understanding of how salvation and grace work needs to change. Or, maybe I just need to get used to the fact that I won't see Ghandi in heaven. That concept just doesn't sit well with me...
Do we just need to believe in Jesus to be saved? The Bible says demons believe in Jesus. So is salvation more than just belief (18)? Maybe heaven and hell are about something more than, or different from, simply believing in Jesus. What that might be, at least to my mind, I can't imagine. But I am open to a larger understanding of God and grace. I realize God is a lot smarter and a lot bigger than me or Rob Bell.
Rob's final idea in this chapter makes me want to read more. He writes "This book isn’t just a book of questions. It is a book of responses to these questions" (19).
Notice he doesn’t say answers…just responses…I like that. This book is making me think. It is making me ask questions I haven't ever asked publically before. I know I have wrestled privately with some of these questions and I'm glad Rob had the courage to put them on paper and get them out there. I don't have answers yet, and perhaps after reading this entire book, I still won't. Apparently, Rob may not give me any answers. He may just be stimulating a discussion. In the meantime, I'll keep reading.